Portsmouth is a unique island city, home to world-class cultural heritage with an incredibly strong sense of pride and community spirit.
What we do
- We are tenacious, opportunistic and agile in our approach to support Portsmouth’s creativity and communities.
- We recognise ideas, explore possibilities and champion Portsmouth’s creativity in all shapes and sizes.
- We work with, for and in communities, co-creating across Portsmouth to animate spaces and support creative growth
- We will work in collaboration with city stakeholder to put Portsmouth on the map for its creativity, communities and thriving visitor and creative economy
How we do it
- We enable and support the creative and cultural sector in Portsmouth to create spaces and platforms to showcase creativity. Using it as a platform to address inequalities, – We Shine, We Create Market, Audio Trails, use of meanwhile spaces and artists website directory
- Working and collaborating across sectors including health, children and young people, and people living with disability and difficulty, enabling access to culture for all and using creativity as a catalyst for positive change and impact
- Connecting to tackle challenges and inequalities affecting Portsmouth’s communities including crime reduction, literacy, social prescription and economic development through creativity
- Partnering, commissioning and co-creating locally, nationally and internationally
- Supporting the creative and cultural sector to develop skills and building capacity, enabling them to thrive and grow, through the provision of upskilling
Why we do it
- Portsmouth is a city of opportunity and creativity; it is a city of history it is also a city of challenge.
- In 2019 the creative industries were worth £11 billion per annum to the UK which is more than air, space and life sciences, oil and gas combined and culture is good for business. Portsmouth’s visitor economy is worth £600 million per annum supporting 13,000 jobs and more than 550 companies in Portsmouth work in the creative industries.
- At Portsmouth Creates we believe success of the cultural industries in Portsmouth is success and growth of the wider city.